Online image and photo editing tools come in really handy as they don’t need to be downloaded and installed on your PC and as a result, don’t really take much RAM helping you run a lot more programs while editing the photos. However, the online photo editors are thought by many as tools just for cropping images before uploading them on social networking sites.
People with such views are in for a rude awakening as Picnik, Picasa’s online partner is a really awesome and feature-packed free online image editor.
In order to start, you need to visit Picnik’s homepage. There is a ‘Get Started’ option right in the middle of the screen and it leads you to the online image editor. You can upload the photo you want to edit from Facebook, Picasa Web Albums, Flickr, PhotoBucket and Yahoo Mail while you can also upload the photo from your computer. Once uploaded, you can start to edit it.
Most free online image editors only offer options to resize the photo, modify brightness and contrast and play a bit with the colors. However, Picnik is one of its kind and offers a wide range of photo editing options.
Basic Edits: Here you can crop the image, rotate it, increase or decrease shadows, improve contrast, play with the colors, increase sharpness and clarity and resize the photo.
Featured: Here, you can use some of the themes provided by Picnik to further play with your image. You can use Face Paint to modify your face’s skin tone, zombify your face, add a mask or do other fun things.
Effects: This section is my personal favorite. You can do so much with the image you are editing that you yourself would be surprised. You can use the different themes provided by Picnik to change and modify your photo. You can make a puzzle out of your photo, produce a thermal image, change the overall background color and do much more.
Text: Another impressive Picnik feature is to add text to your photo. You want to add a copyright claim, add an explanatory note or add simple text to introduce the person in the picture, you can do it all with Picnik!
Touch-up and Frames: Almost all the themes in these two features are for premium users (not free). However, some really enjoyable ones are free. You can easily split the photo into two sections i.e.before (original) and after (edited), add beards to the face and choose a frame for the photo from a variety of options available.
- More than just a simple online photo editor. Some of the tools for photo editing present in it are not even present in full-fledged downloadable photo and image editors.
- Very easy-to-use. The interface couldn’t have been more user-friendly. Even people with no experience in photo editing will have no problems working on Picnik.
- Easily fixes ‘red-eye’ problems.
- Options to save the edited photo on your PC or share it with friends on Facebook, Flickr, Twitter and MySpace.
- Allows making collages too. Even though, Picasa is the best for making collages, Picnik is ideal for people who are looking to make a simple collage within a short period of time.
- Sometimes can’t load a picture from anywhere except Picasa Web Albums and PC.
- No batch editor, you can only upload and edit 5 photos at a time with the free membership.
All in all, Picnik should be your one stop shop if you want to edit the pictures you took before sharing it with friends on social networking sites! Go beyond cropping and fixing red-eyes and start to make your photos a lot more attractive with Picnik.
Home Page: Picnik