Folder icons are the graphical representations of containers. Containers are displayed on the desktops or other areas of the computer and are sometimes also referred to as Directories. Typically and by default folder icons are yellow in color and look like an open briefcase. In recent versions of Windows operating systems, folder icons dynamically change according to the types of contents they contain. For example, if a folder contains audio files, its icon automatically changes and it starts displaying the icon of the default media player that is installed on the computer. In the same way, the folder icon again automatically changes if it contains video files or images.
With the help of this dynamic modification in folder icons, users can easily determine the type of contents they may have, hence completely eliminating the requirement of opening the folders just to check their contents types.
Manually Modifying Folder Icons
Apart from the default dynamic modifications in folder icons, users can also change folder icons manually in order to give them unique look and make them easily identifiable at a single glance. By default Windows has several icons in it and users can select any one from them. Obviously, users can choose one folder icon for every folder at a single given time. However the same icon can be assigned to multiple folders at the same time.
Windows also provides flexibilities when it comes to folder icons in a way that it allows users to browse for and locate custom icons of the choices, if they have any. Typically, an icon file has .ICO extension. There are several third-party applications available in the market that allow users to create custom icons and animated mouse cursors as well. Microangelo Toolset is a good example of an icon creator application that allows users to create fully customized icons for Windows operating systems.
Changing Folder Icons
In order to change folder icons on a Windows 7 computer, steps given below must be followed:
- Log on to the computer running Windows 7 operating system.
- Navigate and locate the folder, whose icon has to be modified.
- Once located, right-click the folder, and from the context menu click Properties.
- On the opened properties box, go to Customize tab and click Change Icon under Folder icons section.
- On the displayed box, click to select the desired icon for the folder from the available list. Alternatively, Browse button can also be clicked to browse for and locate custom folder icon from any different location.
- Once done, click OK to confirm the selection of the icon, and back on folder properties box click OK to save the changes.